After a successful buttocks augmentation, one Florida teenager wasn’t satisfied with her body and wanted to undergo another procedure. Unfortunately, the breast augmentation operation she opted for would end up nearly taking her life, and strongly affected her living condition forever. Just a few minutes into the procedure, the surgeon noticed that his patient’s vitals were changing for the worse rapidly. When all attempts to resuscitate the patient failed, an ambulance took her to the emergency room. It’s in this hospital that the patient’s mother would wait weeks while her daughter lay in a coma.
The patient’s mother had to remain strong for her daughter. Eventually, her daughter would wake up, but at first it seemed as if nothing would change. During the procedure, her daughter’s heart rate dropped, she became unconscious, and there was very little oxygen being sent to the brain as result of a lack of breathing. All that the patient’s mother could think is, “what if my daughter ends up like the other 46 Floridians who died from surgery throughout 2000 – 2010?” Not too long afterward, her daughter would wake up. However, her life would never be the same again.
The patient now has to struggle with severe brain damage. Doctor’s had to inform the victim’s mother that her daughter would barely be able to stand alone and that her speech would be incredibly impaired. And now everyday the victim’s mother has to wonder, “is it worth it to risk so much to change your body?”
Think Twice Before Using Plastic Surgery Clinics
Experienced medical malpractice lawyers believe that in order for the physician that administered the victim’s anesthesia to get his license back, all that was needed was to pay a fine and take fifteen hours of education classes. The cost for the victim’s family is much greater, and they’re having a hard time getting the money to pay for all the medical expenses. That’s why the victim’s family is doing everything they can to share to young girls the importance of body acceptance, no matter what shape they’re given naturally in life.
Clostridium difficile, also known as C. Diff is caused by bacteria in the body that goes bad and affects many different parts of the body, usually beginning with the digestive tract. Occasionally the bacteria formed by C. Diff ends up affecting the joints and becomes reactive arthritis. Reactive arthritis can make knees, ankles, toes, fingers, and many other areas of the body very painful. Usually it affects young adults and middle aged adults up to age 50, but children can also develop reactive arthritis. Unfortunately, when children develop reactive arthritis, it often goes misdiagnosed or underdiagnosed, according to new research.
JAMA Pediatrics recently reported research that shows just how difficult it can be for medical professionals to identify whether a child has reactive arthritis because of C. Diff. About 1 percent of children that have C. Diff end up developing reactive arthritis, and the epidemiology of both conditions aren’t entirely understood. Because of the rarity of these problems and difficulty in understanding both conditions, an estimated 65% of children who develop reactive arthritis won’t be diagnosed by medical professionals for it. This condition is often misdiagnosed as septic arthritis, which requires surgical drainage. This procedure doesn’t solve the child’s bacterial problem, allowing it to continue to grow until the C. Diff leads to more serious health issues.
Reactive Arthritis Suffering Children Often Underdiagnosed
Gordon & Doner know that when a child has reactive arthritis but it isn’t uncovered by medical professionals, it can be a very costly and risky problem. Medical professionals might try to use harmful interventions in order to solve the problems associated with reactive arthritis when it isn’t understood. Usually children with reactive arthritis visit emergency care, when symptoms are at their worst and the needed treatment isn’t given – allowing the C. Diff to develop into a more serious problem. Researchers hope that exposing this problem to the medical community will help physicians accurately diagnose the problem in the future.
In 2014 Joan Rivers saw an ear, nose, and throat doctor in order to correct an acid reflux problem. During the throat surgery, many different mistakes were made by physicians and as a result, Rivers ended up dying a few days after the procedure. An investigation into the procedure showed that unauthorized surgeons without the correct credentials were used during the surgery. They also failed to accurately monitor signs that the surgery wasn’t going well and even gave Rivers the wrong drug and failed to record it in the medical records.
What Should Have Been A Routine Surgery Got Botched
In the middle of the surgery, Rivers stopped breathing. The main physician involved never attempted to correct the problem and failed to call a hospital quickly enough, resulting in Rivers’ death. This prompted an investigation and eventually a medical malpractice suit by Rivers’ daughter, Melissa Rivers. After two years of investigation and negotiation, a closed settlement has been finalized in order to insure that similar problems don’t occur to people who need what should have been a routine throat surgery. Melissa Rivers is calling for better monitoring of patients and for doctors to guarantee that they’re doing everything to keep their patients safe.
Joan Rivers Settlement Finalized
These problems and many more have finally been paid for thanks to the work of Melissa River’s team of attorneys. It’s believed that Rivers’ confidentiality was also broken during the surgery, as there have been photos uncovered from when Rivers was sedated. Overall the physicians handling the surgery didn’t perform to the best of their abilities in order to save Rivers’ life and conducted medical errors that could have been avoided by other professionals. Since the case has been worked out, Rivers’ family members can go on to celebrate her life as a talented comedic legend.